Kabir

Kabir

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Sikh Girl's Guide to Looking Good. And Feeling Gooder!

So I have gotten an idea and I hope you will all enjoy and at most, take it with a handful of salt! 
Many a time girls are left confused, baffled, and in tears because they don't know what to wear, what to do, how to do it, etc. 

I find Samelan grooming sessions, chats with Penjis, etc do help, but here's an easy to refer type of thing that (I hope) helps the young girls out there who probably feel just as my friends, sister, her friends (and I) have felt before. 
Of  course, the first thing you should do is surround yourself with friends and people that Love you no matter how you look (my non-Sikh friends actually have said that it really does not matter that my eyebrows are thick, that's how they know and love me, so there!) 
Also, it definitely helps to have your Sikh friends group to always know that there are people just like you out there! Plus, they could help you when you feel down, need advice and so on. So moral of the story: friends that love you, not how you look, and fellow Sikh girls and boys to keep you reassured and grounded. 
OK lets start. 

1) Read Magazines! 
Really, I may be the most bare faced, no hairstyled person ever(I never do wear makeup, just eyeliner and lip gloss for weddings/ such events) but that does not mean I couldn't tell you(in great detail) on make-up application, the right colour for whatever seasons, do's and don'ts etc. 
For my Malaysian girls, pick up mags like Seventeen Malaysia, Cleo etc. I think Seventeen is excellent, they have loads and loads of tips on basic skincare, hair care, body care, (and I love the Body Peace Treaty part), and even food and health sections. 
This is where I have to caution you that you need to pick and choose what you follow and what you don't. If you are a Sikh girl, obviously you will skip (or read with interest and ignore) sections such as eyebrow plucking, leg and arm waxing, etc. 

That brings me to the next item in this list:

2) Buy sturdy/good coverage stockings/leggings
Once a phenji in Samelan said, its incredibly easy to cover your legs, 70 or 80 Denier I think she said! This is totally true, you may have hairy legs, being a Punjabi so you need good coverage for dresses or skirts. So yes, please go and get a good pair at least. Here, I use I think I have one in 70 and its really good, covers up really well. Then since its cold I also have 120, and one that's super comfy and is lined with fleece or something. (This may be too warm for our climate back home)
So yes, buy a black pair and you will be extremely happy, or try coloured ones depending on the trends. 
Then wear it under your dress and add awesome shoes of course! :)
There's of course the whole leggings with shirt/blouse thing going on, and that means you already know that if you're wearing leggings, you shouldn't be wearing a baby tee on top! 

3) Sleeves/ Cover-ups
Now that your legs are sorted,(I'll come to shoes in a bit) you may think, well what do I wear on top? It is pretty cool that we live in Malaysia so people do not mind you covering up and the choices are pretty good as well. If you are conscious of your underarms, look online or go out with your friends and look for the perfect dress with sleeves! (Yes, you will find it) 
What you could also do is get sleeves inserted/ stitched (the same way you would your Punjabi suits) if the dress is great but sleeveless. 
Now, here is where mags help. Look at the current trend, is it a cropped biker jacket or cardi, or just a shawl? This will help greatly if the dress is sleeveless. At one point it was the little cardis that were so lightweight and even tie in the front kind, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem here.

So can you visualise it yet? I think you look good right now, so lets go to the next item 

4) Dress!
OK, if you dont already have one, you need an LBD (little black dress) pronto. Haha well not pronto but obviously it is the easiest and such an important item to have and there's loads of ways to work it! Seriously, mags and websites/blogs will give you ideas on how to personalise this and what you can do with it. 
Obviously, find one that flatters your body shape, and please know that little does not mean your kachera is showing haha! 
You need to figure out your body type and buy one that not only makes you look good, you have to feel good too! 
The one I have currently is SOOOOO comfy its a cinched waist one with a sheer panel and short, sheer-ish sleeves. See, perfect right? I usually pair it with a cool belt, combat/rock/funky boots and lots of attitude! 
So please, find yourself a great one (ask me if you're confused!)

5)Shoesssssss
Now, my sister and friends are always saying I am a shoe person (and compared to my sis who's a handbag person, I guess I am).
NO, I am so not a heels person though. I look out for funky/unique sandals/flip flops for home (I will wear flip flops EVERYWHERE back home) or boots that are me.
So yes, go shoe shopping, and if you are toppling over wearing heels to the mall, please, just try wedges/flats/small sturdy heels. 
Also, get some shoes that keep your feet comfortable. I don't think I need to speak much on this, you all should be pretty alright. 

6)Jeans
Ah yes, if you know me, you know I wear jeans+tee+ flip flops all the time. So yes, on jeans. 
First let me say that super skinny jeans are not for everyone! Just because your  BFF looks good in them does not mean that you will (or should) look good in them, similarly your BFF may not be able to carry off flared leg or boot cut! 
There are many choices, just go and try different kinds on, straight cut, bootcut, flared slightly, skinny boot, skinny etc. 
Ask the salesperson if you need help, they will be able to give you good advise. Obviously Levi's and all have their varieties which flatter all kinds of shapes and you will feel like a million bucks!
Also, colour should be in back home, so try that as well. Rules of thumb are:
a) No gaps in the back 
b) Snug, not constricting
c) Length
d) Dark for night, light for day
And I guess the basic dark blue(or black if you prefer) is a staple, while the light blue wash may be some people's fave. I love my light blue wash, and at the moment I also have grey and black ones. 

So, how do you like the list so far? Is it any help at all? I have loads more to tell you, but let me know what you think of this and also, ask me if you have specific questions! I hope this actually helps :)


Love. 

No comments: