Kabir

Kabir

Monday, October 1, 2012

Keeping it going

Today was the official first day of lectures! Although we had the introduction lecture last week, this week is when things are getting going.
The two lectures today were on Policing and its roles and in the afternoon, we had a statistics lecture. (It was great that they provided printouts!)
While I was sitting in the statistics lecture, I could not help but think of my undergraduate days. The statistics topics were exactly what I had done in Maths (Statistics), dealing with the t- test, f- test, and the likes. Just thinking of maths and Ms Chong. See, she's the Math lecturer that (thankfully) my class had for both our math papers. She is more teacher, and was extremely dedicated to ensure that we knew what was going on and she persevered so we knew the material in and out. 
Always armed with paper and a pen, she utilised the overhead all the time and showed us how the calculations were done, armed us with a good amount of tutorials, and most importantly, prepared a manual of such delight that I got an A for that paper. Also, it might have been attributed to me not being excellent in statistics (not liking it that much more like) that I probably use to do the tutorials and be freaked out about math papers. (I know)
SO, as I was sitting in class today, looking at the slides, I could not help but smile at how lucky my class was to get Miss Chong, and how lucky we were that she was such a dedicated person. (It helped no end that she  was a very nice person) Looking at the material, I told myself, I can do this. It'll take some revisiting, and revision, and exercise, but I have got it in me now to tackle this. 
How did we get here. Ah yes, statistics. So, scientists need to use statistical measures to analyse things like the precision, reproducibilty and a whole lot of things about the instrument and human error. 
Tomorrow I have two labs, one on document analysis and the other on fibres. Yipee! 
I had gone to the store that sold Indian foodstuff yesterday, and came home with a packet of rice (YAAAY) and some precooked food. Aloo mattar (Peas and potatoes) and dhall. Also got some food from Tesco. So dinner today consisted of bread, aloo matar and some eggs. Yum. I feel warm inside now. 
There's a department lunch for international students tomorrow as well, so if I'm done at the lab I will make a mad dash for it. 
Besides that I feel a cough coming on (its already in the initial stages) so I am gonna take some cough syrup and bundle up and hope it goes away. Maybe I should get my hair washed and dried at the shop (which, coincidentally is also right outside my flat). 
Ok I think that's all for now, as always, love. 

No comments: